Tom Hanks, Oscar winning actor, revealed that he blames himself for not having followed a healthier diet when he was younger, explaining that it has led to his battle with type 2 diabetes today. He said that he is the part of the lazy American generation that has careless to keep their health when they were young, now they have type 2 diabetes. Usually it starts when they are not aware with their weight along with the lack of physical activities. Hanks said that he is still hoping to overcome his diabetes by following his doctor suggestion to hit a target weight with a healthy diet. If he following that, his doctor said that Tom won’t have type 2 diabetes anymore.
First revealed that Tom diagnosed with type 2 was in 2013 during The Late Show with David Letterman, he admitted that he had been struggling with high glucose since he was 36 years old.
Randy Jackson, Grammy award winner didn’t know he had type 2 diabetes, and that was a very huge wake up call to get his health together. Jackson was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1999, that time he didn’t aware that he has a history of type 2 diabetes in his family. He lost 110 pounds by exercise regularly and always improve healthy diet. He also monitors his type 2 diabetes with regularly visits to his doctor. He said there is no cure for type 2 diabetes but diabetics can manage and control it.
Jackson started moving from “southern fried foods” to more healthy choices foods, and after took deep consideration he had gastric bypass surgery. In 2003, Jackson opted to undergo gastric bypass surgery, a procedure in which a surgeon creates a smaller stomach pouch to curb food intake by stapling a portion of the stomach, to energize his weight loss efforts and step on the path toward good health. Now as a result of his changes, he shares to people about lifestyle changes that can prevent type 2 diabetes and its complications including heart disease.
Even after had a gastric bypass surgery, Jackson eventually started gaining weight back. That is why he committed himself to eating the healthy choices foods and goes to fitness routine. Jackson has written a book, “Body with Soul: Slash Sugar, Cut Cholesterol, and Get a Jump on your Best Health Ever”, about his experience with type 2 diabetes that discusses the psychological aspects of weight loss, which he feels are more important that people normally realize. Here are Jackson’s tips on how he can manage his type 2 diabetes :
- Know your limits. The signal to stop eating is going to come from your body, not from an empty plate.
- Never say never. Meaning that never say “I will never have sugary foods” because that will not happen. Instead change it to “I will eat healthy foods”. Because your unconscious mind does not understand negative statements.
- Sample the goods. Allow yourselves to try not more than three choices foods you really love at a dinner party.
- Do not arrive hungry. Meaning that never to go anywhere when you are very hungry. Always take a healthy snack at the meeting or the party. Stock your refrigerator with healthy foods.
- Focus on the faces. Especially at the parties, there are so many chances to have something to eat and drink. Focus to have only mineral water and limited eat when you are mingling with people.
- Trick yourself into working out. Make a 30 to 45 minutes walks everyday as a habit. It will make your body feel better and looser.
- Focus on your health. It is a good thing to go to your doctor routine because health is the biggest wealth you can have in the world.